Burp cloths are a great gift to make for a baby shower. Moms always need plenty of burp cloths and you can design one for any occasion. Recently, we threw a baby shower for a dear friend of mine that is having a baby girl but is not sharing her name until she is born. So, I decided to do a lamb themed burp cloth that would be great for church.
To get started, you will need:
- Sewing Machine (preferably one that has embroidery capabilities for the lamb)
- One 18 inch piece of fabric for the front
- I suggest a fabric that can absorb liquid easily. For this burp cloth, I found a very soft white felt
- One 18 inch piece of fabric for the back
- I used Minky Dot but you can choose whatever...have fun with this selection!
- 12 inches of wide ribbon
- 12 inches of coordinating pom pom ribbon
- Matching Polyester thread
- Sticky Paper (tear away) Stabilizer
- Puffy Foam or clear water soluble Topper
- Always match puffy foam to thread color for your embroidery
- Scissors, pins
Once the fabric has been cut out, it is time to put the ribbon in place. The bottom of the ribbon should be two inches above the bottom of the burp cloth. Pin your ribbon in place and cut the ends so they are aligned with the sides of your burp cloth. Next, it is time to place the center of your embroidery. I chose for my lamb to be below the center of the cloth so it can be seen while the cloth is on Mom's shoulder. The lamb is placed two inches up from the top of the ribbon. To find the center of the lamb, I measured the height of the lamb and divided it in half. Once the center is found, place a sticky dot or a put a dot with a pen in place.
This project is very simple and lots of fun. Be creative and choose a design that fits the personality of the new parents. Giving a home-made gift is a great way to show how excited you are about your friends' new addition!